Thursday 20 November 2008

Benayoun threatens to leave Reds

Liverpool midfielder Yossi Benayoun has threatened to leave after becoming frustrated at manager Rafa Benitez's policy of using him as a substitute.
The 28-year-old, who joined from West Ham for £5m in 2007, has made just four starts in 11 appearances this season.

Benayoun told Israel's Channel Five TV: "If the situation remains the same over the next few months, I will not want to continue as a Liverpool player."

"I hope it changes as I want to stay and prove myself but it won't be easy."

Benayoun made his name at Israeli side Maccabi Haifa and Spanish outfit Racing Santander before moving to West Ham in 2005.

He switched to Anfield in 2007 and resisted a move away this summer despite interest from Italian side Roma and Dutch giants Ajax.

The Israeli international has made 41 appearances for Liverpool but he fears that his playing time will remain restricted following the team's good start to the season. The Reds are joint top of the Premier League with Chelsea, having lost only once, picking up 32 points out of a possible 39.

"The fact that I have spent so much time on the bench, while there has been a winning formula on the pitch, tells you everything," added Benayoun.

"I know I'm at one of the biggest clubs in the world, and that there are many good players like Ryan Babel and Jermaine Pennant who sometimes aren't even in the squad, but it's not much fun sitting on the bench all the time.

"I always wanted to prove myself good enough for Liverpool, and I thought I did well last season to contribute so many goals and assists.

"But there seems to be more competition for places this time, and if I continue to be on the sidelines, I would not want to stay, even though it is Liverpool.

"Maybe I will have to accept that and start learning another language, such as Italian or French or even Russian."

No comments: